Thursday, December 29, 2011

My Hackintosh. A Story of Discovery and a Really Kick Ass Computer (That worked like gangbusters for 6 months and then went tits up)

Here's the makings for my hackintosh I recently made. You can find the parts here.

• Antec High-End Performance Case P183 V3
• GIGABYTE GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B​3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
• Intel Core i5-2500K Processor 3.3GHz 6 MB Cache Socket LGA1155
• Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB PC3-12800 1600mHz DDR3 240-Pin SDRAM Dual Channel Memory Kit for Intel and AMD Platforms CMZ16GX3M4A1600​C9B
• GIGABYTE ATI Radeon HD6850 1GB DDR5 2DVI/HDMI/Displ​ayPort PCI-Express Video Card GV-R685OC-1GD
• Crucial 128 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s CT128M4SSD2
• Seagate Barracuda 7200 1 TB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s 32MB Cache 3.5 Inch Internal Hard Drive ST31000528AS-Ba​re Drive
• Pioneer Internal Blu-ray Disc/DVD/CD Writer BDR-206 (Black)
• OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom

Apple >Mac OS X version 10.6 Snow Leopard


Putting together the computer was a snap. With a friend of mine who knew what he was doing, it took about two hours. When I started to install the system, I ran into Kernel panic. This was because the Sandy Bridge installation needed to be patched. So, here's what I did...

(I pretty much followed the instructions here. Read this carefully before progressing.)

• Launched iBoot
• Installed Snow Leopard
• Configured MultiBeast
• Installed UpdateHelper
• Rebooted
• Ran Mac 10.6.8 Combo Update
• Rebooted

Viola! Booted perfectly. Only problem was the sound and networking. I searched on this site for how to finish that and came across this post from Frostcall, who has a much more detailed description then here.

Based on this info, I basically checked my off my Multibeast exactly like the image below...


WHAM! Networking popped up instantly and audio came upon reboot.

I went to the Apple website and looked at their custom built computers. The result from apple was an outrageous 6,124.00! I had spent only 1,300.00.

I hope this helps anyone who needs it.

DF~>

••••UPDATE••••
The whole thing went tits up so I tried to fix it. Unfortunately no one on any of the boards would help and so I said fuck it and got a new MacPro and we're doing just fine. Oh, and tonymacx86.com bulletin board? Suck my balls. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment